Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wow - I haven't updated in a while!

So summer's here and I have been busy!

7. swim with wildlife
I was originally thinking swimming with sharks or dolphins, but then my wonderful sister-in-law reminded me that, while on vacation at the lake, I was swimming with turtles and tons of fish. Swimming with dolphins/sharks would be at a sea world or something of the like, so that really doesn't count as wildlife. Maybe weak, but if you know me, you know how much of a baby I am about swimming in water I can't see the bottom of..... it took me 7 days of our 7 day vacation to jump off the dock without my (read: my 5 year old daughter's) little purple dragon Penelope. The turtles were cute - especially the itty bitty baby one!
8. go on a safari
This year we went to Disney and actually had the pleasure of staying at Animal Kingdon's Kandani village. If you don't know Disney, this resort has rooms all around with balconies facing a safari which is in the middle. In addition to staying on the safari, we also went on a safari ride at Animal Kingdom. There was the cutest 2 month old baby elephant with her mom along the way. Some of the animals were so close that we could have touched them! But.... we obviously didn't!
13. run a 5K race
My latest 5K took place on July 27th! I ran in Newburyport's Yankee Homecoming! I did a personal best! This was the first race that I ran by myself, so I was a little nervous about pacing myself and whatnot. Right after the start, I saw two of my teammates from soccer pass by me. I so wanted to tap them on the shoulder (since I was keeping up right behind them) and say hey, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up with them and #1 didn't want to look stupid and #2 didn't want to have them feel like they should wait for me, so I didn't. Trying to keep up with them all race gave me a great time and I felt awesome when I was done!
14. run a half marathon
June 27th! 13.1 Marathon series "Party in the Street" in Canton, MA. My awesome sister-in-law and fam came up from MD so the two of us could run it together. Mind you, I fractured my back on Mother's day so this was a little over a month after that happened. I had actually only just started running again 2 weeks before the race. It was a horrible horrible race for me. I've never wanted to give up more - the hills were BRUTAL and the paths kept running out then looping back the same way that you had just come. It was nuts. Barbara Ann refused to leave me (despite telling her numerous times to go and I would finish by myself) and just about had to pull my tail over the finish line. I'm so glad that I did it, but it makes me worried to run another. Those miles keep coming slower and slower! On to the next - get right back on the horse I suppose!
19. get a complete makeover & 20.try a completely different look
So I killed two birds with one stone! I went into Compliment's Salon and my dear dear friend (and hairdresser) Juliette took over! I went in with long blonde (-ish) hair and came out with short brown Alice-cullen hair!!! Love it!!! I look COMPLETELY different.
29. make a new friend
Silly because I do this all the time. BUT this year one of my BFFs went out on maternity leave and her sub was fabulous! She fit right in with our department and since we both had block 7 together, I got to know her a ton more. She's hysterical, easy to talk to and fun! Love her!
29. attend the midnight premier of a movie The night.... June 30th..... my two buddies and I ventured out into the midnight premier amongst tons of tweens, teens, our high school students and twimoms to see the Twilight Saga's Eclipse movie. I love the series so I was pumped HOWEVER the sound kept cutting out so it was sucking, but we could still see it so it wasn't all bad. AND I got a free pass to go see it again (however I waited too long, so I will be using it to see anohter movie at some point :)
31. put change in someone’s expired parking meter
I love doing this. Hopefully it saves some people from getting a ticket! So walking along the Weirs strip I put coins in somewhere between 6-9 expired parking meters. Unfortunatly, in Boston, they use the new sticker ones.
48. read a new series of books
So one of my work colleagues broke me of my Twilight habit. She got me into reading Karin Slaughter. I read 5 books in 6 days. They were GREAT (really messed up and crazy - like really really messed up, but still good)! Blindsight, Kisscut, A Faint Cold Fear, Indelible, Faithless and Beyond Reach. They were all part of the writer's Grant County series. 5 books in 6 days.... man.... I get obsessive when I find things that I like!
59. try a food I didn’t think I would like
I did it, I tried fish sushi. You think that sounds weird, but I have only ever had vegetable sushi. So I tried a spicy tuna roll, shrimp tempura and california roll. Not bad, but I have come to find that I am NOT a fan of squishy. uck! One place we went to for sushi even brought the sushi to us on a BOAT! A big wooden presentation boat!
68. invest in a new digital SLR and tripod
Woo hoo! I got my new canon digital SLR! I got the Canon Rebel T1i and I love it! Apparently it has video capabilities, but since I don't read manuals - I haven't figured it out yet. But it does take amazing pictures. I took it to Disney and on our vacation at the lake. Love it!
71. go kayaking with a friend
Up at the lake on vacation, I went Kayaking with my niece. She took me down the cove and then back up to the lilly pads and the turtles on the log :) So fun!
15. take a day for myself and not feel guilty about doing it
So I'm going to call today my "me" day!!! Loved every minute of it. I got up, went for a 7 mile, wonderful, mind-clearing, awesome run. Now that school's coming up, I had tons to think about - I got a LOT accomplished in my head. Then I went right to the gym and lifted for about 45 minutes. It ROCKED! Then I went to my school and worked on re-arranging my room. I am loving my schedule for this year, loving my room set up and really excited about it. It was SO hot in my room and I was just a pile of stench! I came home, ordered some yellow curry chicken from my fav Thai place and at it while IN the bathtub (a little TMI I suppose) and watching the news. I picked up the house a little and went to my in-laws house where the kids were having dinner out on the deck. The weather was perfect so it was awesome. Then I took the kids to Mac's Dairy farm - only the best ice cream place that just so happens to be up the street from me. It was a great day!!!!
81. go to an outdoor movie
While on vacation at the lake, the Melanson clan (our family, my brother-in-law's family and my in-laws) went to the Weir's Drive in. Love the drive in. Two movies back to back while either sitting in the car or sitting outside the car. I got to hang out with my niece in the convertable and watch Dinner with Schmucks and Grown Ups. They were great! It was so funny because it started raining a bit during the first movie, but other than that it was awesome weather!
89. go on a picnic
I did a couple of picnic's this summer! Generally we have been going to the park down the street where there are fields and playgrounds. There has been plenty for the kids to do so it's always a great time!
91. learn to drive the boat
On a nice slow day at the lake my husband decided that I needed to drive the boat. "What happens if I can't drive home one day", I told him that I would drive slow. "What happens if I'm having a seizure and am in mortal danger", I'll call your friend on the lake. LOL. So, despite my fears, he had me drive the boat for a HOUR straight. I got a little more comfortable doing it. I drew the line at docking it - I'm all set with that right now. lol
99. buy actual pajamas - no more sweats and T’s
Aside from Christmas jammies, I don't really buy actaul pajamas :) I went out and got two sets at the start of summer. Not that exciting .... nothing to congratulate me on, but it's the little things right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment